Built in 1914 the building housed the printing facilities of the publishing firm originally named ‘Sands and Kenny’
In 1857 ‘Sands and Kenny’ produced their first Melbourne Directory and in 1962 renamed to ‘Sands and McDougall’. The directory was the precursor for modern telephone directories listing people, businesses and organisations.
We are undertaking an extensive refurbishment of the building, including a fit-out, service upgrades, and adding end-of-trip facilities along with a bar and cafe in the building’s central courtyard. The design intent is to strip back and expose the concrete vaulted ceiling, steel beams and columns. The deep windows in exposed red clay brick echo the heritage façade and offset the modern internal steel and glass fit out.